Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Learning from a student

I am teaching summer school to struggling readers this month of June. Even though these kids need 'extra' reading help...I feel as though they teach me just as much as I teach them. I try to put myself in their shoes and in their mindset so that I, myself, can be a little more understanding and patient. It is so easy to take the ability to read for granted...and I see that more and more when I teach kids day in and day out about consonant blends, vowel sounds and combinations, how language works, the fluency of reading, and new vocabulary. It is a huge task for little ones....but what amazes me is their attitude. Even though they struggle, they still give it their all and they're happy. For instance, each day I meet with this little red-haired boy named Eli. He always comes to my reading table saying, "I'm just so happy today. I don't know what it is, but I'm just really happy. This is fun coming here."
I love that! He has taught me that despite your circumstances (whatever it may be), just:

1. Look at the bright side of it (even if you are stuck in summer school)
2. Just be happy (be yourself, be happy, and make others feel that way too)
3. Enjoy where you are (no matter if it's traffic, school, work, or a time of life)
4. Give it your all (even when it's really hard and you can't figure it out...give it a shot; and if you're wrong, you can always go back and try it again).

So, thanks for reading my little insight of the day...or should I say Eli's.

No comments: